One building – so much history

The kastenhof has always been used. Even in the days when its condition was pitiful. Dora neff can tell you about it. The today 78-year-old led pastor josef lauer the household. First in iphofen, then in weismain. There, however, the vicarage first had to be renovated, so the two of them moved into rooms on the second floor of the kastenhof next door right at the start. The word "temporary accommodation" does not give any information about the actual housing situation. "A tree grew out of the roof", dora neff describes from memory. The water ran down the wall of the living room, the ceilings were covered with foil, and in winter the old electric heating system just managed to keep the rooms at a temperature of 15 degrees. Last but not least, a piece of plaster had even fallen from the ceiling onto the pastor’s desk. "It was quite bad", summarizes his housekeeper.
Neff could experience in addition, what became after 1991 from the monument-protected former office building. "Outstanding" it’s all there today, she says, and adds that she actually likes old houses.

The charm of the historic rooms welcomes visitors to weismain’s tourist information and the nordjura museum. Director andrea goldner sometimes experiences how the vaulted ceilings of her modernly equipped workplace are marveled at. As the town archivist and district local historian, she is of course familiar with the history of this early 18th-century camp. The building was erected at the end of the nineteenth century and will be opened on the "open monument day" (10. September) like to tell about it. On the subject of this year’s motto, which was once again determined on a nationwide basis, "power and splendor the kastenhof fits best under the aspect that the bamberg prince-bishop lothar franz von schonborn was the builder and the building served for representation purposes as well as for the collection of the tithe or taxes. Exercise of power thus. During world war II, the kastenhof served the nazi regime as a labor service camp. Again a form of demonstration of power.
From 1945 to 1975, various uses followed as a forestry office, kindergarten, school, doctor’s residence and by various businesses. In 1990, still under mayor max goller (CSU), the urgently needed renovation was begun, which required a high financial outlay and dragged on for years in several stages. New rooms for the library. The museum opened in 2004. The environmental station of the district of lichtenfels moved in in 1999. One is proud of this enrichment in weismain.

Events on the "open monument day at the 10. September:
9.30 o’clock opening event for the administrative district lichtenfels in the box yard in weismain, afterwards as well as from 14 to 17 o’clock opportunity for the inspection. There are three other points of contact in the district:
wallersberg pilgrimage chapel st. Catherine, 2 – 5 p.M.
Banz monastery guided tours of the banz monastery grounds and museum, bad staffelstein town, 1 and 3 p.M. (75 min. Each).); open 10 a.M. – 5 p.M.
Lichtenfels 13.30 guided tour of the restored attic of the historic town hall with ulrich sunkel (head of the structural engineering department). City archivist christine wittenbauer informs about the history of the dientzenhofer town hall built in 1743.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.