News

Friedrichswerder church is a museum again

Friedrichswerder Church is a museum again

With the special exhibition "ideal and form – sculptures of the 19th century. With the special exhibition "ideal and form – sculptures of the 19th century from the collection of the national gallery", the friedrichswerder church rejoins the ranks of berlin’s state museums.

The sacred building with the original preserved church interior by the prussian master builder and architect karl friedrich schinkel (1781-1841) will again serve as a branch of the alte nationalgalerie (old national gallery) on the neighboring museum island in the coming years.

Of the approximately 2100 sculptures in the museum’s inventory, 50 are now presented in the light-flooded nave of the church. The pieces made of bronze, plaster, marble or terracotta range in time from schinkel to the empire.